I don’t know about you, but I feel like summer is flying by while everyone is having all types of fun and I’m over here like, “next please!” If there’s one thing I’ve learned in the past year or so, it’s that life keeps moving forward and we have to decide if we want to make the most of it. Last summer, I started making myself a bucket list for each season. You can see samples of it here on Etsy.
So if you feel like you’ve yet to make the most of your summer, I’ve totally got you friend! You might not have had one of those summer vacations in Iceland that everyone seems to be going on right now, but consider trying a few of the fun things on this list. I’ve narrowed it down to 10!
- Saturday morning sunrise hike and brunch. Get some adventurous friends together who won’t mind getting up at 4am and hit the trails. There’s something about starting off the day while the rest of the world is asleep, sitting at the top of a mountain, and watching the sunrise. It’s my go-to option for those times when I’m feeling pretty down in life. The experience takes me higher! Pun definitely intended. You’ll definitely work up an appetite afterwards so head back to someone’s house for a delicious brunch and a movie on the couch. Team work makes the dream work!
- Picture perfect by the pool. You likely know of someone who either has a pool or lives at an apartment with pool access. You know that super-cute bathing suit that you haven’t had a chance to wear all summer? Or just never had the guts to? Well whip out that self esteem, put on that picture-worthy swimsuit, call up a friend who will indulge your selfie habits, and go embrace that vitamin D! Don’t forget to bring a cool drink, snacks, and a good book!
- Ice cream truck rendezvous. Ice cream shops are great but this can be a more affordable option and just as tasty if not tastier! I usually get the cone with their signature flavor and end up spending under $2 for a small. I get the kids’ size which is even cheaper! You’ll feel no guilt going for an evening stroll in the park with this delicious treat. Invite someone special to join you for a walk and you just might end up hand-in-hand and head-over-heels!
- Visit a National Park on August 25th! That’s National Park Day and all the parks that usually charge a fee will offer free admission. You’ll just have to research the activities offered at the specific park you’d like to visit and plan a fun activity or 2!
- Take a short weekend road trip to a new city. Got a friend or family member who only lives 1-3 hours away? Sounds like time to catch up and have a change of scenery! Plus if you take someone else with you it doubles the road trip fun and saves on gas. Take in the sights, visit some free museums, go sight-seeing, hang out in a local coffee shop – you pick! This is where using my Facebook “Events” tab comes in handy. Try it!
- Host a clothing swap and revamp your closet! Yes, the fellas can totally do this too! It’s basically shopping for free, so why not? Have everyone bring a snack and those gently used items in their closet they no longer wear. It’s a great way to get some “new” items to add a final touch to your summer wardrobe or to prepare for fall with some swapped sweaters! These are tons of fun and make for great social interaction.
- Catch a flick at a discount movie theater. Consider yourself lucky if you live in a town with one of these. You can catch that movie you’ve been meaning to see but never got around to for under $5. A lot of these theaters have a vintage feel but I think it’s perfect for watching those classic films on the big screen. Regal’s Summer Movie Express is a also great option for just $1 every Tuesday and Wednesday. That overpriced popcorn never tasted so good!
- Groupon with a group! This is one of my favorite options because if done right, you can snatch an AMAZING deal online. Get a couple of friends together and look up hotel deals in a major city not too far away but far enough. I live 4 hours outside of D.C. and I’ve totally done this with a friend. Our room in a 4-star hotel cost $56 per night with a hotel, gym, continental breakfast, and the most comfortable bed you can sleep in away from home. I’ve seen deals for $71 per night for up to 4 people, which comes to just under $18 each if you split the cost. You can all go out to explore the city ad eat at a neat local restaurant if you manage to get a good Groupon for that as well! Bonus: You can rack up some credits in Groupon bucks to be used over time.
- Plan a themed dinner party. Choose a country, have your invited friends bring an inspired dish and maybe even dress accordingly! Think: “An evening on the Italian countryside.” If you have a backyard that’s big enough, put out a table and chairs, pick fresh flowers, and get creative with some simple decor. You can find some ideas here on my Pinterest board! Set up glass bottles of cool drinks as your centerpiece and throw on some Andrea Bocelli in the background for that authentic feel. No fuss. Pure fun!
- Backyard bonfire…Or anywhere you choose! But a bonfire is the perfect way to end the summer and welcome the crisp fall weather! Think Spotify, s’mores, and stories! Make a playlist of some summer favorites, invite lots of friends, and you’re all set. Yes, you can tolerate listening to “Despacito” just one more time!
Don’t forget to take LOTS of pictures and make a photo book of all your adventures! Be sure to follow my blog for more ideas like these in the future! Who knows? Maybe we’ll figure out some money saving tips for next year’s trip to Iceland! 😉